A Subway outlet in the Indian city of Hyderabad was closed after local health inspectors conducted a raid there on Thursday, May 17. The raid came after a viral Facebook post claimed a customer had found a cockroach in a drink served there.
The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) officials who raided the place collected samples from there and sent them for examination.
It seems the outlet owners themselves decided to shut the place down for a week for renovation and some other works.
Roach row at Subway
It all started on Wednesday when Hyderabad-based businessman Marunganti Vamshikrishna Reddy went to Central Mall in the Punjagutta area of the city for shopping. His daughter ordered a soft drink at a Subway outlet there after some time.
As she was drinking it, she felt something odd in her mouth. She and her family immediately opened the soft-drink container to find live cockroaches inside it.
Narrating the incident, Vamshi told The News Minute: “We went for shopping since it was my daughter’s birthday the next day. After shopping, my daughter felt thirsty and ordered a cool drink. She felt something weird while sipping on it and that’s when we saw cockroaches in the drink.”
Vamshi reportedly demanded an explanation from the outlet’s staff, but they did not answer him. He then entered the kitchen and apparently found the entire place in a shambles.
In the meantime, the outlet’s owner, identified as one Sireesha, accused him of trespassing and misbehaviour. Vamshi recorded his interaction with her and put it on social media. Watch it here:
A customer was shocked to find cockroaches in his food served at Subway, Hyderabad Central Punjagutta. He took a video and also lodged a complaint. pic.twitter.com/0FjbR5u88D
— Vamsi Kaka (@vamsikaka) May 17, 2018
Outlet closed, case registered
The aforementioned News Minute report quoted a food inspector as saying on Thursday: “We have collected the samples and sent it for examination. We haven’t closed it. The outlet owner itself said that she will close down the outlet for a week for renovation and pest control.”
It later emerged that the Panjagutta police had registered a case against the outlet. This, despite the owner claiming that the outlet would be shut for a week for renovation and pest control.
According to a report in The Hindu on May 20, the management of the outlet had been booked under Section 269 (which deals with negligence that may cause the spread of infectious, life-threatening diseases), Section 336 (which deals with endangering the life or safety of a human being) and Section 504 (which deals with intentional insult with the intent of provoking breach of the peace) of the Indian Penal Code.
Times Of Food has reached out to Subway India for its comments on the issue. This story will be updated as and when a response is received.