An eatery in the Karur district of Tamil Nadu was forced to close on Monday, May 27, after a customer found a blood-stained band aid in biryani.
Local authorities are reportedly investigating the incident. They have also reportedly served a notice to the restaurant management asking for an explanation.
This is not the first incident of its kind in India in recent weeks. An outlet of a famous food joint in Nagpur was closed in mid-May after a lizard was found in the food.
Band aid in biryani
The incident happened in the Karur district of Tamil Nadu. Local reports pinpoint the eatery as the Dindigul Thalapakatti Biryani Centre.
It all started when 25-year-old Kavin Kumar, from the Erode district in the state, visited the eatery on Monday afternoon with his friends.
Local reports say he ordered chicken biryani and started eating. He reportedly noticed the blood-stained bandage only halfway through his meal.
He brought this to the restaurant’s notice, but apparently did not receive an appropriate response. This led him to call the local food safety officials.
Karur municipality food safety officer S Karuppaih was quoted by the Times of India as saying about the incident: “We have sought an explanation from the hotel over the incident.”
He added: “If the answer is not convincing, appropriate action will be initiated against the hotel.”
This was not the first incident of its kind in recent weeks. A Haldiram’s outlet in Nagpur was forced to shut shop on May 14 after a man found a dead lizard in the vada sambar ordered there.
The local food safety authorities however allowed it to open again three days after the incident.
Meanwhile, in February this year, a man complained to Swiggy that he had found a blood-stained band aid in his food, much like Kavin Kumar. Except, this time the food was Chicken Schezwan Chop Suey.
Did something similar happen to you? Tell us on social media!